Monday, May 17, 2010

How to share, instead of what

I've often found myself struggling with the what part of sharing when it comes to the meta.  Lets face it, acceptance is a very strange thing in this medium as it challenges our traditional perceptions of interaction and communications.  But I was recently cracking open a @ChrisBrogan book on Social Media (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7555218-social-media-101) and one of the early chapters challenged me on something I hadn't considered.

You see I always had the perception of a blogger as being an authoritative resource in whatever subject they might be sharing.  Perhaps this is naive, but regardless I took it somewhat for granted and applied that concept to myself.  I figured that if I am going to share something via a blog, I had better have the answers.  Why else would someone want to read what I am sharing if I just left things open-ended?

Well I have to admit, I find greater enjoyment in what I read when it challenges me to think about things.  The author doesn't have to know the answer.  And even if they do, are authors more effective when they allow the reader to draw their own conclusions?  Wasn't that what Alfred Hitchcock was more successful in terrifying you with, what you didn't see?  The imagination is powerful.  After all, the mentoring process is about dropping clues and allowing your staff to find their way.

If I am to be successful in this medium, I have to be willing to share those things that I don't know the answer to. And just maybe I need to leave my opinions with me.  Maybe I should wait until you engage me to supply them.

1 comment:

  1. I quite like the idea of blogging as an exploratory process. I find reading the words of others who are trying to figure things out to be just as exciting and stimulating as reading the words of someone who 'as all the answers'. Half the time (or more) I don't agree with those people anyway.

    ReplyDelete