Monday, December 20, 2010

An official goodbye to November

I'd like to officially say goodbye to November.  I do realize this post is hitting my blog in late December, and your first instinct should rightfully be to question the timing of this post.  But I'll let it lie for what it is, an indication of just how busy and crazy things have been.

Now on to the official goodbye.  November, you were really damn hard.  I was trapped in a perfect storm.  Things at work were in sheer chaos with a number of my colleagues losing their jobs.  The home front was also in turmoil as my mother lost her home and moved in to my home (just think about having your mother around 24x7, need I further qualify the remark?).  Then in closing to top off the cake, and I certainly do not trivialize or underscore this in any way, my good friends lost their 13-year-old daughter the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  That was November, in a nutshell.  That was the November I'd so like to put far behind me.  That is the November that made my life a living hell.  And to it I say goodbye, possibly even good riddens.

With each successive blow, I found myself wondering how could things get worse.  Without fail November managed to deliver time and again.  I don't think I've ever been as stressed, saddened and mortified all in a single month.  The range of emotions ran the gamut, all on the negative side of the scale.

Goodbye November, may I not see you ever again in such form.

There is only one problem.  I can't help but look at the silver lining.

What silver lining?  Oh, I'll tell you...

Even with everything that took place and everything that tried to drag me down, I can't help but realize the benefit that arose from the horrible situations.  For you see in that month of 30 days I found myself questioning the security of my employment, the security of my financial position, the security of the sanctity of my family and even the security of my faith for the concept of tremendous loss and suffering my friends have gone through left me deeply shaken.  And even after all of that I realized that a Thanksgiving that should have been wrought with a pure lack of things to be thankful for, was in fact a thankful holiday.

I was thankful that I had my family, safe and sound.
Thankful for my faith.
Thankful for my health.
Thankful for my job.
Thankful for the love of a good woman.
Thankful for the love of three fantastic children.
Thankful that my mother could have a good home even with the loss of her own.
Thankful that my friends had a community respond to help them in such an outpouring of love, caring and support.
Thankful that despite as hard as things were, they could have been a lot harder and were not.
Thankful that I have a breath in my lungs, and shoes on my feet.

I was, and still am, thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.
    I couldn't even imagine what your friends must have and, and will be, going through these days to come.
    Hope you and your little family well this holiday, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you! Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!

    ReplyDelete